Tuesday, August 25, 2009

RELIVING THE PAST

I mowed the yard today, as I was mowing the front yard it hit me, I mowed the front yard three years ago today! Linda and I was planning to go to Memphis the next day. Gerald was planning on me driving my old IH340 in the parade. Linda didn't care much about the tractors but enjoyed the 'street vendors' that had various things for sale, Cookies, Ice Cream, along with other "goodies" she probably shouldn't have had.
Three years ago I didn't get the yard finished (I did today). I had to quit to get ready for work, I came in and showered and dressed for work and informed Linda it wouldn't take long to finish mowing sunday. We disscussed what time we needed to leave for Mo. the next morning, then we each left for work - NEVER suspecting that was the last time we'd talk! About 10:00 P.M. a Tool & Die worker informed I had someone wanting to see me, that it was a family emergency. I went out and was met by Mike and Linda, Mike started to tell me and wasn't able to get the words out. Linda then informed me Linda was gone. The Hospital had tried to contact me at work, but the phone system was messed up and Linda had listed Mike as secondary contact in case of emergency. They had finally called him. I called Cindi and Jeff on the cell phone on my drive home. I was supposed to call the Hosp. Chaplin when I got home, He ask if I wanted to come to the hosp. tonight or in the morning? Knowing I wasn't going to sleep that night anyway. I said I'd be down there in about 30 minutes, enroute I called Tony (my brother) and informed him - He went out and met me at the hospital.
Linda was an Organ Donor: So after making arrangements for her to be taken to Elliott's Chapel in New London, I was put in contact with Iowa Donors Network where I was put through the "Third Degree" about her medical history and was informed that "due to her history and the way she died, Probably the only "organs" they would be able to use for transplant, would be the bones in her arms and legs.
I arrived back at this EMPTY house probably about 2:30 or 3:00 A.M. I sat down in the recliner and Cloe (Matt's little dachund) hopped up in my lap and normally she would lick the bottom of my nose 3 or 4 times, then I'd put her down in my lap and say "That's enough" and it over! That night, I let her lick 3 or 4 times then put her in my lap and said "That's enough!" It was almost like she was on a spring, She was right back up there licking. I didn't know dogs could be so sensitive. She knew something was wrong!
After three years, it's interesting, I can almost repeat word-for-word the conversations that took place that night!
It's 1:30, so I better go to bed and see if I can sleep any better than my feeble attempts three years ago. I don't know!

2 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

We share your pain. We both think of Linda often and miss her so much. I know she is waiting for us to join her but I can hear her saying, "There's no hurry. See you when you get here." We had become so close and Mike and Linda were as close as any siblings could ever be. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.......

Sassy said...

"After three years, it's interesting, I can almost repeat word-for-word the conversations that took place that night!"

Me, too. Some things you just never forget.