Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Is Spring here ? ? ?

I WISH ! ! ! However I did observe a good sign! I made a trip to Burlington and Mt. Pleasant this afternoon. When I arrived home I picked up the mail and was sitting in the pickup reading some of it. I noticed a LOT of birds in the yard, I soon realized they were all Robins. I would estimate between 70 and 80 of them. As I was watching (an attempting to get a rough count) there was 8 deer came out of the neighbors field into the lower edge of the yard and went north toward the creek that runs through my property!
I don't who to believe - the ground hog or the robins - according to ch. 6 it sounds like the groundhog may have been more accurate. They are forecasting snow friday and saturday with some "possible accumulation"
Susie: Have you kept track? we should be awfully close to the 30 snows we were "supposed" to get this winter. It seems like it snowed every other day in Dec. and Jan.

3 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Well, I didn't see any big flock, but I have seen several singles in the past two weeks.....Poor dumb robins. Did you buy a big bucket of worms for them? Hmmmm, me neither....

Kelly said...

i'm not ready for spring yet!! i'm still 'owed' four more snow days! :)

Susie Schulte said...

I have not been counting, but my Dad is...so I'll ask when I see him.
I also had a huge flock of robins in the yard one day. Like you, I didn't really get a count, but they were many!
Yesterday, we saw a young three legged deer. I figure it must have been injured in a fence or something. It was a small one, and in no hurry to "hop" away when it saw us.
I heard this morning that by the end of this week it will again be very cold and windy. Brr! I prefer to have winter now, and then when spring does arrive, we should have no more wintry days. I think last year we heated way into May!
BTW...Robins are very poor indicators of spring. They always seem to arrive just ahead of some of the worst weather. When the red winged blackbirds get here, spring is at hand, and when you hear the whippoorwills, it's safe to say that there will be no more frost.